Saturday, July 13, 2013

WHITE + LEATHER + MUSCLE

Images via Pelayo Diaz/ Yu Wei Lo/ Ivania Carpio
Putting off all these "potential blog posts" for too long! Now I'm just vomiting them out with as much enthusiasm as I can. I've really been digging the onslaught of people wearing white socks lately. Normally associated with the world of athletics, it seems sport-luxe. A lot of people find it distasteful for that very reason. It's pleasantly jarring. As much as I love the whole printed sock thing going on, this is starting to bring me greater satisfaction. Speaking of white socks, it reminds me of the sock + sandal debates that plague sartorial audiences. To be honest, I do like it. Tres Raf Simons. However, I must admit, I doubt I'd wear it myself. It reminds me far too much of my middle-aged Asian uncles of childhoods past.

Images via Yu Wei Lo/ Pelayo Diaz
Leather shorts. Yeah. This is some murky territory. One wrong Google search and before you know it, you're in the depths of the kinky S&M universe. I don't even know if I like them all that much, but I must since I keep wanting them. I doubt they'd even be flattering. It'd just make me sweaty. In any case, I think one factor that is crucial in leather shorts is length. Traditionally associated with womenswear, I think these look best if they're at least knee length, if not longer. I know its hip to have your shorts mid-thigh and stuff, but when your pair mid-thigh with leather, we're all just gonna start getting uncomfortable.

Images via Inked Magazine/ UNIF
And to bring this post to a close, I'd like to make plain my affection for the muscle tee. I know this isn't for everyone (Tracey), but I find it quintessentially British. Very British, very grunge. Very...tumblr, to say the least. Seldom do I see it here in the States. I must make the distinction, however, between this and the average tank top (or vest if you're in the UK). The muscle tee is a basic t-shirt without the sleeves. It still retains a high neck opening, rather than the roomier cut silhouette of a tank. In terms of aesthetics, I imagine it to look best on the emaciated, gangly, platinum-blonde youths of London. And though I fulfill none of those standards, I still find myself hacking off the sleeves of my tees, donning them while simultaneously sucking in my cheeks in the hopes that I too, can look British grunge. lol.


No comments :

Post a Comment